ESE Scholarship Thời Khóa Biểu Listening Corner Reading Responses Free Writes! Pronunciation Grammar Poetry Questions & Answers Idioms & Proverbs Programs & Downloads
Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Have Pen, Will Write

I’m going to take advantage of TanBeck’s question in the free-write thread, "Tại sao @ lười đeo @?" and make it a 20-minute essay. The idea is a copy from another website, which promotes a free-writing learning style among ESL and American students.

The writing doesn’t have to follow any specific format. Spelling or grammar mistakes, though not highly recommended, will not be frowned on.

When we start writing, we shall write (or type) whatever comes to mind for about 20 minutes. At the end, even if the 20-minutes time frame may pass, we may want to conclude the essay with some kinds of closing sentences or passages.

Of course, we will make a lot of mistakes this way, but I have found that this will not only help us write well in English, it also helps us think quickly on our toes.

I hope we all will participate and learn how to write better in English together. If we are lucky, those, who are fortunate enough to have a better opportunity than most to learn English, will help correct our mistakes so we can write better one day.

--- o0o ---

Bear sẽ nhân dịp trả lời câu hỏi của TanBeck trong phần free-write thread, "Tại sao @ lười đeo @?" để làm một bài luận "20-phút". Bear copied khái niệm này từ một website khác khi họ muốn khuyến khích những học trò ESE, hay ngay cả học trò Mỹ, học cách viết tự do.

Cách viết này không phải theo hình thức đặc biệt nào. Những lổi đánh vần hay ngữ pháp, dù không được tán thành, nhưng cũng không bị chỉ trích.

Khi bắt đầu viết, mình sẽ viết bất cứ những gì mình nghĩ ra (nhưng phải cùng đề), và sẽ viết một hơi trong khoảng 20 phút. Ở cuối bài, mình nên viết một vài câu để kết thúc bài viết.

Tất nhiên là mình sẽ có nhiều lỗi khi viết kiểu này, nhưng Bear thấy cách viết này không những sẽ giúp mình viết được tiếng Anh, nó cũng giúp luyện cách suy nghĩ của mình.

Bear hy vọng mọi người sẽ tham gia và học viết tiếng Anh với nhau. Nếu mình may mắn, hy vọng rằng những người biết tiếng Anh giỏi hơn sẽ dành thì giờ để giúp đỡ và sữa chữa lổi viết của mình, để rồi một ngày nào đó, mình sẽ viết tiếng Anh đúng hơn.

--- o0o ---

If ESE's board of directors approves of the idea, I suggest the board organize the resources to help correcting the essays for students (if there are any participants at all). This task is too time consuming for one person to handle. I sympathize with TamTungTeGieng. He has taken the initiative to correct the writing, but since he did, others, which included me, assumed that he would fix every posted essay by himself! Sorry, Mr.

Ops and instructors, if you don’t feel like using your nick when correcting the students' English, let’s create another nick and make that nick volunteer.

My part? I commit to be a regular until school starts in August. If this takes off, we'll continue, otherwise, we'll cry and say good bye.

Until then, please jump in and be silly with us.

Similar Threads:

Other Threads:

Last edited by Bear Lac Loi; Jul 9, 2008 at 08:50 PM.

Default Why Don't @ wear @?

I'm going to give it a try. Here's my essay.

--- o0o ---

I’m starting my stop watch .... tic … tac … (but no toe).

Hmm … why don’t ops wear @? I guess the question would be better answered by qualified people, such as those who are eligible to wear @. Bear Lạc Lối is nowhere close to being qualified, but I’m going to put in my wild guess just for the fun of it.

Let me do the thing that I dislike the most: I’m going to answer a question with another question: "Why does an op wear @?" Since I’m stuck with 20 minutes of thinking and writing, my answer is not intended to be a correct one, but I’ll try to keep my spelling and grammar in check. Sorry TanBeck, the answer may not be the one that you would expect either.

Why does an op wear @? Let’s see … An op needs to wear @ to perform the op tasks. Those include keeping the room free of unhealthy practices. Ops with @ have the right to mute or bounce those who do not respect others in the room. @ also allows ops to post lined messages, which use the line-feed characters.

There may also be another reason: An op doesn’t wear @ because the op doesn’t want to be different from others in the room. The @ sign seems to couple with a sense of authority, and it makes the op feel uncomfortable wearing it. When a class is not in session, most ops just want to blend in and have fun with the rest of us students.

Therefore, Mr. TanBeck, here’s an answer to your question. An op doesn’t wear @ because, at the time, the op doesn’t feel the need to do the op tasks or to post lined messages. In addition, the op also wants to blend in and have fun with other people when there are no classes.

What this also means is that when an op doesn’t wear @, the op is subject to be picked on, used, and abused like the rest of us poor students. No mercies are needed. Remember, though, respect is the key word.

My 20-minute is up.

Smile A Date

Here's another essay as an example. Beginners, please don't be discouraged by the length of my essay. I've been in the US for quite a while now, so my writing is a bit better than a beginner's. I can write faster and make fewer mistakes.

If you post your essay, I'll do my best to fix it and bring your English to my level. Once it gets there, there will be those, whose English is much better than mine, who will help advance yours to their level.

--- o0o ---

There is no such thing as a typical date in my case. Being short, fat, and almost bald at the age of 20, dating doesn’t usually happen, if at all. So, when talking about a typical date, I would have to settle on the one date that I have had so far throughout my adult life.

I have no idea what happened that led to our date. Was I attracted to her because of her angelic beauty, or was it she who noticed me out of pity, then later, went on a date with me out of curiosity? Either way, I haven't really figured that out … yet.

The first time I saw her, we were waiting for a bus near the University Center. The bus was kind of full and had room only for one more person, so I let her have it. I later realized, while walking along the snow-covered street on the way home, that it was the last bus of the day.

I saw her the second time in a computer lab at school. She came in when I was sitting in a corner, working on my assignment. Later, I had to stay up all night to finish the project since I hadn’t done a thing but hiding behind the monitor and watching her nibbling her pencil all afternoon.

The third time I saw her, she was talking animatedly with her friends across the basketball court during a game. In a moment of insanity, I thought I saw her smiling and waving her hand briefly at me. I didn’t wave back. I was paralyzed with the sensation.

I saw her the fourth time when I was sitting alone in the cafeteria, reading my favorite Clive Cussler book. I heard someone saying hi, and asking if it’s OK to sit down at the table. When I looked up, I saw her eyes radiated with brilliant light. I saw the brightest smile on earth coupled with the most beautiful and seductive lips. I could have sworn that I saw halo covering her forehead. I must have seen an angel.

The fifth time happened just one day after the fourth time. It might have been a cold Saturday, but I didn’t feel the chill. My heart felt warm as if I were at the center of the earth. We were sitting next to each other. She was watching the sun disappearing into the lake. I was watching her.

That was the date.

Last edited by Bear Lac Loi; Jan 23, 2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Correcting my grammar mistakes

Aww ... sweet!

Default To Bear Lac Loi and everyone

Actions speak louder than words, you indeed are a very loud-spoken man.
    I sincerely thank you and applaud your effort to undertake an active role in our community. I ultimately hope to see many more participants, and we'll have discussions of what logical explanation determines the correctness of our writings. We would then read each other's writing and make necessary correction. Remember, I too make mistakes, and hope to see someone correct me; even the most prolific writer will make mistakes, I'm nowhere near, so do expect it. As long as we can detect those mistakes afterwards, it is all helpful. Until then, I hope to see you all in here, writing whatever your heart desires.

Default Learning a second language quickly?

Another example of a 20-minute essay ... actually, this took me almost 30 minutes, with editing and all. Sometimes, words don't come easy!

--- o0o ---

How can I find a way to learn a second language quickly? Really, I have no idea how. If I did, I would have been the most famous bear on earth.

Mind you, though. There are special language programs. They are designed for diplomats to accelerate their learning effort before taking a new job in a foreign country. I’ve searched the Internet and found additional programs that offered such things. They remind me of the “Get Rich Quick” schemes, which we often see on TV at 2 or 3 o’clock in the morning.

In the case of a slow bear like me, it has taken me forever to learn English. Among speaking, listening, and writing in English, I had always tried to determine which one was the hardest. I felt the need to figure out where in English I should put the most effort in, which would be proportional to its level of difficulty. Oh yes, I also believed that the day when I dreamt in English would be the day when I mastered the language.

I first thought that speaking was the easiest. Why not? If I knew the words, I would just put them together, and American could always guess what I meant. In Vietnam, people didn’t invent the phrase, "nói tiếng bồi" out of nothing, did they? If I "nói tiếng bồi," I was sure that people could understand.

Then I considered between listening and writing in English. I thought writing was easier. Wasn’t that the truth? If I didn’t know the word, I could always pull out my Lê Bá Kông pocket dictionary. However, after a near death incident when I took my first English composition class in college, I changed my mind. The class had made a true believer out of me that writing well is not a walk in the park.

After years of living in the US, I stopped weighing the levels of difficulty in learning English. They are equally hard. Despite the fact that I’ve been dreaming in English for a long while, I’m always conscious of my pronunciations. I usually edit my writing over and over. And once in a while, I still ask people to “please say it again.” To me, learning a second language is a lifetime process, which will probably never end.

Last edited by Bear Lac Loi; Mar 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM.

Default Teamwork

I’ve read a latest post from gdpt and saw her mention the word “team”. I'm taking the opportunity to write another 20-minute essay as an example. Please, ESE students, let's jump in. Let's just write anything that comes to mind.

--- o0o ---

From my understanding, teamwork is a concept where multiple individuals work together to accomplish a common objective.

“Teamwork” is a new term, but the concept has existed since the beginning of living things. Teamwork doesn’t limit to only human. It also applies to other animals or even vegetations. We have heard of a pack of lions who hunt together, or a group of wild plants, which grow closely to keep from being blown away by strong wind.

In school, we see groups of students sharing their efforts to study for final exams. In some colleges, engineering students work together to design and build Mini Baja, which is a small vehicle that can endure races through extreme road conditions such as a mud bog and a rough hill. It even has to cross a shallow river.

At work, people work as a team to improve the productivity. In a busy restaurant, we see waiters and waitresses help serve each other’s customers instead of waiting only their own tables. In larger scale, though he might not officially know the term, Henry Ford brought the teamwork concept to his company by creating assembly lines, where workers applied their skills on specific parts to build a whole car.

We also see teamwork in sport. There is no such thing as a one person basketball team or soccer team. The team consists of many individuals working together against the other team. Without them, the team has no chance of getting their goal unless they are lucky, or their opponents aren’t any good.

So, teamwork does work, and it works better when every team member puts in the same effort to reach the common objectives. Let me borrow a quote from gdpt, “There is an ‘I’ in contribution (she may also mean ‘individual’), but there ain’t no ‘I’ in team.” I guess the sentence means to tell us something.

Last edited by Bear Lac Loi; Jul 17, 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Lac Loi View Post
    I’ve read a latest post from gdpt and saw her mention the word “team”. I'm taking the opportunity to write another 20-minute essay as an example. Please, ESE students, let's jump in. Let's just write anything that comes to mind.

--- o0o ---

From my understanding, teamwork is a concept where multiple individuals work together to accomplish a common objective...

I’m a rebel. I can’t stand seeing people keep talking about teamwork and the wonderful benefits of having a team. It is at the tip of everyone’s tongue nowadays, and I’ve had it. I have a poster at work that says, “’Teamwork’. ‘Teamwork’. OK. I’ll shoot the third person who says ‘teamwork’.”

Wait. Boss, if you’re reading this, please hear me out before firing me. I do firmly believe that most of the times, two heads are better than one. Whenever the work requires more than one individual, we should employ the team concept.

Or … should we?

Let’s see why we need a team. We need a team because the job requires more skills and efforts than one can possess.

It sounds good, right? Yes, it is, but only if each member possesses the right level of skill on his respective task. Teaming with a group of freshman physics students wouldn’t help Oppenheimer build a better nuclear bomb. We all heard of a story when someone put a team of three blind mice together. Would you wonder how they run? A team of two scarecrows can’t make them any smarter than one, can it?

And the efforts from each member also need to be leveled as well. Unfortunately, the 20/80 rule does apply even in teamwork. As the survey would confirm, there’d usually be 20% of the team members who do 80% of the team’s work. Thus, teamwork works, but it works only among a team of the 20% team members who will carry the whole team on their shoulders.

Another ironic of teaming is the leadership. I’ve seen teams with highly esteemed members who know what they are doing, and do what requires of them. However, I’ve also seen cases where a team works best when it has a dictator as a team leader. We see that a lot in a successful business, where the owner or the CEO is a slave driver.

Oh, by the way, the poster that I mentioned in the first paragraph is just from my imagination. I don’t have it. Don’t y’all put it up at work either! It’s hazardous to your employment.

Last edited by Handsome Bear; Jul 28, 2009 at 04:17 AM.

To me short, fat and bald are cute. My twenty minutes is up. It's time for a bowl of soup

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Lac Loi View Post

The fifth time happened just one day after the fourth time. It might have been a cold Saturday, but I didn’t feel the chill. My heart felt warm as if I were at the center of the earth. We were sitting next to each other. She was watching the sun disappearing into the lake. I was watching her.

That was the date.

ganh tị dã man.

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast