ESE Scholarship Thời Khóa Biểu Listening Corner Reading Responses Free Writes! Pronunciation Grammar Poetry Questions & Answers Idioms & Proverbs Programs & Downloads
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

oh I forgot to add the last definition of torture. Torture is when I have to dodge the cold by staying home and replying to your thread on a beautiful Friday hahaha jk. Oh please correct my poor writing. I'll sue you for discrimination if you don't correct my English hahhahaa. It's a warning ^_^
    PN

Last edited by who_owns_death; Feb 6, 2010 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by who_owns_death View Post
    oh I forgot to add the last definition of torture. Torture is when I have to dodge the cold by staying home and replying to your thread on a beautiful Friday hahaha jk. Oh please correct my poor writing. I'll sue you for discrimination if you don't correct my English hahhahaa. It's a warning ^_^
    PN
    Who_owns_death (my goodness, what a name!) I'd take the chance of being sued and try to prove my innocence. I can't fix a good writing.

Last edited by Bear Lac Loi; Feb 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie2568 View Post
    At last, I have also placed my foot on the land of Sweden as my desire in the morning of a dreamy winter day. The city where I would be here for a long time looked as if still being in the sleep. Streets were deserted although it was 8:30am. This was such a big difference in comparison with things happening in Vietnam. I first came here and far from my family like that; but, I had no feeling indeed. Everything in me seemed to be empty. There was no sense of worry or happiness as I thought before coming.

Nevertheless, during later 2 weeks, I have had so many feeling in a jumble. As many overseas students, I have met difficulties in adapting to the life as well as study in a new environment. The living cost is quite expensive and seeking a room to rent or share is not easy. Then, it is study issue. I have been trying to habituate to new study method; but, it’s not simple when language, which is main factor, is still my obstacle. I feel so tired and lonely but always try to manifest that I’m ok when chatting with my family. I don’t want to let them worry about me. My mood has been changing erratically, sometimes strong and sometimes weak.
    Jannie. After reading about your trip, I thought of mine and started telling my story without thinking about working on your writing. Here it is. It’s better to be late than never.

--- o0o ---

At last, I have also placed (set) my foot on the land of Sweden as my desire (as I had always desired) in the morning of a dreamy winter day. The city where I would be here (delete: here) (add: staying) for a long time looked as if still being in the sleep (asleep). Streets were deserted although it was 8:30am. This was such a big difference in comparison with things happening in (compared to) Vietnam. I first came here and far from my family like that; but, I had no feeling indeed (This was my first time in Sweden, far away from my family, but I felt nothing). Everything in me seemed to be empty (My thought was empty). There was no sense of worry or happiness as I thought before coming (as I had imagined before arriving).

Nevertheless, during later (for the next) 2 weeks, I have had so many feeling in a jumble (I had a jumble of feelings). As many overseas students, I have met difficulties in adapting to the (delete: the) life as well as study in a new environment. The living cost (the cost of living) is quite expensive (comma) and seeking a room to rent or share is not easy. Then, it (there) is (add: the) study issue. I have been trying to habituate (prefer: adapt) to (delete: to) (add: a) new study method; (comma) but, (delete comma) it’s not simple when language, which is main factor, is still my obstacle. I feel so tired and lonely but always try to manifest (prefer: pretend) that I’m OK when chatting with my family. I don’t want to let them worry about me. My mood has been changing erratically, sometimes strong and sometimes weak.

--- o0o ---

I wish you luck, Jannie. Hope you'll find the strength and achieve what you have set out to do.

:-)

Last edited by Bear Lac Loi; Feb 9, 2010 at 03:22 AM.

Cannot believe you even used to word INNOCENCE to describe yourself lol. You r not innocent but by noticing your language and the way you text, I can tell you are beyond cute tho lol. I guess I'll have to make more mistakes in my writing to grab your attention hohoho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Lac Loi View Post
    Jannie. After reading about your trip, I thought of mine and started telling my story without thinking about working on your writing. Here it is. It’s better to be late than never.

--- o0o ---

At last, I have also placed (set) my foot on the land of Sweden as my desire (as I had always desired) in the morning of a dreamy winter day. The city where I would be here (delete: here) (add: staying) for a long time looked as if still being in the sleep (asleep). Streets were deserted although it was 8:30am. This was such a big difference in comparison with things happening in (compared to) Vietnam. I first came here and far from my family like that; but, I had no feeling indeed (This was my first time in Sweden, far away from my family, but I felt nothing). Everything in me seemed to be empty (My thought was empty). There was no sense of worry or happiness as I thought before coming (as I had imagined before arriving).

Nevertheless, during later (for the next) 2 weeks, I have had so many feeling in a jumble (I had a jumble of feelings). As many overseas students, I have met difficulties in adapting to the (delete: the) life as well as study in a new environment. The living cost (the cost of living) is quite expensive (comma) and seeking a room to rent or share is not easy. Then, it (there) is (add: the) study issue. I have been trying to habituate (prefer: adapt) to (delete: to) (add: a) new study method; (comma) but, (delete comma) it’s not simple when language, which is main factor, is still my obstacle. I feel so tired and lonely but always try to manifest (prefer: pretend) that I’m OK when chatting with my family. I don’t want to let them worry about me. My mood has been changing erratically, sometimes strong and sometimes weak.

--- o0o ---

I wish you luck, Jannie. Hope you'll find the strength and achieve what you have set out to do.

´¯).• ¤*•,¸.¸,¤*•,¸.¸, •*¤*•,¸.CHÚC MỪNG NĂM MỚI,•*¤*•,¸.¸, •*HAPPY•*HAPPY NEW YEAR *•,¸.¸,•*¤*•,¤*•,¸.¸ ,•*¤*•,¸.,•*¤*•,¸.¸, •*?,•*¤*•,¸.,•*¤*•,¸ .¸,•*?*¤*•,¸.¸,•* ..^^..

Dear Bear,

In these days, many people including Vietnameses around the world are celebrating New Year according to lunar calendar and I wish you and everybody on ESE website a prosperous and wonderful new year. Although my wishes are quite late because today is the fifth day; but, I hope they will come true to all of you

Then, I would like to thank for your correction. I'm so sorry for late reply due to my hard study in my university. Today, I have just fulfilled the first theory seminar's presentation with members in my group. We worked so hard and the outcome that took place fine made us pleased. Nonetheless, my mood has been in a jumble in these days. I had no new year's day in the true sense of word. Moreover, I faced lots of stresses in not only preparing for my theory seminar but also life. I sensed lonely and it's the reason why in the last day's evening of the year, I cried a lot when I made a conversation with my parents through the internet. I didn't know why the more I tried to control my feeling, the more my tears turned down. I, in fact, didn't want to make my parents worry about me but I did as a baby I missed my family indeed and the first time I wondered about my decision to come here. I felt I was so weak at that time. But, now I know that to live in the new environment has never been easy for everyone. There are so many things seemed simply but impacting to you yourself seriously. But, this is my choice and I don’t allow me to fail; so, I have been striving as possibly as I can.

Reading your story regarding to arriving process to the US let me look back to some sort of stories I have heard from overseas Vietnameses in this city (My host is an overseas Vietnamese so I was told a lot of stories) They also had to live in refugee camps in Philippine, Hong Kong and others before coming here. There were so many difficulties, which they had met. To have Swedish nationalities, some people accepted getting married false with others in 3 years, who had Swedish nationality. Of course, these people must pay a mount of money for this; then, they had to work so hard to settle their debt. Others worked and studied very hard when they came here, then gained successfully. They now own some restaurants and frequently back to Vietnam to do charity works. There are also other stories I heard but I don’t think I will list all here. In my judgment, each person has individual's circumstance and your story is such your significant experiences that I believe you will be unforgettable. With everything you experienced as I imagine, I believe that I have more dressing force to step forwars because all difficulties I met are so small.

Now, I will rewrite my previous writing, which was edited a lot as follows. :’’>

At last, I set my foot on the land of Sweden as I had always desired in the morning of a dreamy winter day. The city where I would be staying for a long time looked asleep. Streets were deserted although it was 8:30am. This was such a big difference compared to Vietnam. This was my first time in Sweden, far away from my family, but I felt nothing. My thought was empty. There was no sense of worry or happiness as I had imagined before arriving.

Nevertheless, for the next 2 weeks, I had a jumble of feelings. As many overseas students, I have met difficulties in adapting to life as well as study in a new environment. The cost of living is quite expensive, and seeking a room to rent or share is not easy. Then, there is the study issue. I have been trying to habituate (prefer: adapt) to (delete: to) a new study method; but it’s not simple when language, which is main factor, is still my obstacle. I feel so tired and lonely but always try to pretend that I’m OK when chatting with my family. I don’t want to let them worry about me. My mood has been changing erratically, sometimes strong and sometimes weak.

Bear, I have a query referring to red words. According to my dictionary, if I use the phrase of adapt I must add ‘’to’’ behind it but you said that I need to delete ‘’to’’ so it make me quite confused.

Thank you for everything. Hope to your reply soon.

Regards

Last edited by Jannie2568; Feb 20, 2010 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie2568 View Post
    Then, there is the study issue. I have been trying to habituate (prefer: adapt) to (delete: to) a new study method; but it’s not simple when language, which is main factor, is still my obstacle.

--- o0o ---

Bear, I have a query referring to red words. According to my dictionary, if I use the phrase of adapt I must add ‘’to’’ behind it but you said that I need to delete ‘’to’’ so it make me quite confused.

Thank you for everything. Hope to your reply soon.

Regards

Hi Jannie,

We’ll work on your writing soon, but for now, let’s see how we can use the verb “adapt”.

The verb adapt can be either a transitive verb or an intransitive verb. Depending on the usage, it has different meanings.

As a transitive verb, “to adapt” means “to change”.

Example:
    The company adapts a new design for its manufacturing process. (The company changes the design for its manufacturing process.)

NASA adapts a new method for approaching the moon. (NASA changes the method to approach the moon.)

The school has adapted a new textbook for every English class. (The school has changed a new textbook for every English class.)

As an intransitive verb, “to adapt” means “to be familiar with”, “to be able to live with”, or “to feel comfortable with”.

Example:
    These birds cannot adapt to the cold winter. They have to fly south every year. (These birds cannot be able to live with the cold winter. They have to fly south every year.)

It is not easy to adapt to the new way of living in a strange country. (It is not easy to be familiar with the new way of living in a strange country.)

Children find it hard to adapt to the new rules set by the new teachers. (Children find it hard to be familiar with the new rules set by the new teachers.)

In your case, if I understood you correctly, you had your own way of study, but now, you are adapting a new method to cope with the new school. You also have to adapt to a new environment where language, customs, and traditions are new to you.

Personally, I use “adapt” when I am in control. I can choose what to do: I adapt a new design, a different method, or a new textbook. In other words, I choose to use a new design, a different method, or a new textbook.

I use “adapt to” when I am influenced by environment or certain situation, and I have to change myself: I have to adapt to the cold winter, the new way of living, or a new set of rules. In other words, I have to change myself to live with the cold winter, to be comfortable with the new way of living, or to be familiar the new set of rules.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Bear Lac Loi; Feb 24, 2010 at 01:35 AM.

Hi Bear,

Thank you for your explicit explaination. Now, I understand more obviously how to use this verb. Thank for that

Besides, I am wondering about the difference of seminar, conference and workshop. Could you explain for me pls?

Thank in advance!

Last week was my worst nightmare. I happen to realize that I have been taken advantage of by an asshole all these times. I happen to know that I'm losing a good friend. It seems to him that I'm not that important. As if it is not bad enough, I messed up a big test. Also, I got my English paper back with red marks on every single sentence. A lot of times, I find myself pretty confident with my English writing and science courses but the situation is completely opposite this time. Well, my English still sucks despite the fact that I have learned it for 5 years or so. It turns out that my knowledge of science is not as good as I thought it was. The crap keeps adding up to a point where I think that I will have to spend this whole spring break and summer time to catch up with my friends. All of the sudden, I feel sad and unhappy. I need somebody to ease this massive headache for me. Once again, I find myself so weak and vulnerable. I miss the old days. I miss those good times that I had with my friends. I'm trying to find my way back. I want.....I want...hm...... for now, I just want to free write and get some help with my english grammar!

Last edited by who_owns_death; Mar 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM.

well,it seems like you are having quite a lot of trouble,all the things make you so depressed,although you say the most important issue now is your problem foreign languages,but actually the reson is the thing around you.I sugest that you should get the spirit or attempt to forget them and focus on school,am sure you get over ít ! Good luck ^^

I never said that my biggest trouble was english. It's easy for you to say, Lovely. Get back to me on that when you arrive in the states. You gotta be in my shoe to understand what I'm talking about. Anyway, thanks for dropping me a message. I appreciate your time and your lecture ^_^.