+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thay co va cac ban tra loi dum Tomato may cau hoi nay voi!

ESE Student
    Paltalk
    lovely_tomato
    Thanks

Post Thay co va cac ban tra loi dum Tomato may cau hoi nay voi!

1/ How do you learn English new words?
    ………………………………………… ………………………………………… ………………………………………… ………………………………………… ………
    2/ What do you do to memorize a new word forever?
    3/ Do you like reading? Why or why not?
    4/ What are your problem in your reading comprehension?
    5/ How can you do to build up English vocabulary?
    6/ Do you think learning Greek and Latin root words is good way to build up vocabulary? Why or why not?
    7/ Do you think knowing Greek and Latin root words helps you improve reading comprehension ability?

Similar Threads:

Other Threads:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lovely_tomato For This Useful Post:

pink (Apr 25, 2010)

ESE Student
    Thanks

1/ I learn new English words by reading book in English, watching TV, internet....
    2/I try to use the new words anywhere if i can.
    3/Yes, I do, because I will be able to improve my reading skill and increase my vocabulary.
    4/I limited by my vocabulary and grammar.
    5/I think I just read many books in English and try to remember new words.
    6/I have no idea. They connect with English?
    7/ I have no idea. If they have connection, I think they will have a part at least.

Last edited by khongcoranh; Apr 18, 2010 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks

1/ How do you learn English new words (new English words)?
    I’ve learned new English words by reading English novels, speaking to native English speakers, and listening to English programs on radio.

2/ What do you do to memorize a new word forever?
    I usually look up the new word in a dictionary. That helps me memorizing the word. However, if I didn’t use the word, I would soon forget it. Therefore, I usually read novels from the same author. Each author has his own style and tends to use the same words in his stories. Thus, I would have a better chance of seeing the words more often and memorizing them longer. I’m not sure about the term “forever”, though.

3/ Do you like reading? Why or why not?
    Yes, I like reading. I read novels to entertain myself. I also read to satisfy my curiosity about subjects that I am interested in. Sometimes, I read because I have to. In which case, especially when the subject is boring, I don’t usually like it very much.

4/ What are your problem (problems) in your reading comprehension?
    Like most people, my problem in reading comes from not knowing the vocabulary. It gets better as I read more and more. My second problem comes from the writers who are wordy or not using proper grammar or structure. The last problem happens when I have to read about unfamiliar or boring subjects.

5/ How (What) can you do to build up (your) English vocabulary?
    This question is similar to the first question. To build up my English vocabulary, I read English novels, speak to native English speakers, and listen to English programs on radio.

6/ Do you think learning Greek and Latin root words is (a) good way to build up vocabulary? Why or why not?
    Since more than 60% of English words are borrowed from Greek and Latin, knowing Greek and Latin helps enhancing one’s English vocabulary. This is why one is encouraged to learn Greek and Latin root words.

There are controversies regarding the subject, however . The controversies establish the answer for the “why not” question.

The first controversy is about the level of effort. It seems silly when a foreigner, who has enough problems learning English, has to learn additional two languages in order understand the first one. Therefore, learning Greek or Latin root words to improve English might not be practical for foreigners. It, however, applies perfectly to native English personnel who have great interest in improving their linguistic ability. In another word, it applies to linguaphile (I'm using a big word just to prove a point. Greek root words for linguaphile are lingua: Language, and phil: Love. A linguaphile is a person who loves languages and words).

Second, there are questions regarding the need of knowing certain vocabularies in English. Except for basic prefixes and suffixes, many English words, which use Greek or Latin root words, are too sophisticated for most people. Many of the words are specifically for scientists, philosophers, or students who have to take tests such as GRE or GMAT, which require advanced English knowledge. These words are not commonly used in daily life. Therefore, improving English vocabularies by learning Greek and Latin roots might not be necessary.

7/ Do you think knowing Greek and Latin root words helps you improve reading comprehension ability?

Similar to the first answer for Question 6 and for the same reason, knowing Greek and Latin root word surely helps improving one’s reading comprehension ability.

--- o0o ---

To answer KhongCoRanh, yes, there are relationships among English, Greek, and Latin.

The history of the relationship goes back to 1300’s, when the Renaissance in Europe, including England, initiated the pursuit of knowledge, which included philosophy and science. One aspect of the English Renaissance was the general interest in Classical Greece and Classical Rome literature, which was in turn translated into English. Since many concepts expressed by Greek or Latin were not available in English by that time, thousands of Greek and Latin terms were borrowed to form the new English words, as well as prefixes and suffixes. Most of these words were considered sophisticated and were widely used in specialized vocabulary for science, medicine, and other specialized fields.

According to dictionary.com, about 80 percent of the entries in any English dictionary are borrowed, in which, over 60% of all English words have Greek or Latin roots. In the vocabulary of sciences and technology, however, the figure rises to over 90%. The proof of the 90% is obvious, especially in medical terms.

As an example, let us consider the word “Linguistic”. Linguistic comes from the Latin root word “lingua”, which means language or tongue.

By combining the word with the suffix –ist, it refers to one who performs the action: linguist. Combine that with suffix –ic, it refers to of or pertaining to the use of language: linguistic. From understanding lingua, we can also comprehend many words of similar term, which is related to language such as a linguist, linguistic, linguistically, lingo, sublingual, multilingual, or linguaphile. In medical field, lingua is used when referred to a part at or around a tongue, such as lingual artery, lingual vein, or linguadental.

Is that enough or too much information?

--- o0o ---

I want to thank lovely_tomato for making me learn about the relationships among English, Greek, and Latin. Without her asking the questions, I would probably know of the relationship but not so much in detail. Good luck with your thesis, Tomato.

:-)

Last edited by Bear Lac Loi; Apr 26, 2010 at 09:37 AM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bear Lac Loi For This Useful Post:

8TieuMieu8 (Apr 21, 2010), Fannvi (Apr 21, 2010), ngoc_diem_131 (Apr 25, 2010), pink (Apr 25, 2010), vandemort (Apr 20, 2010)

ESE Student
    Thanks

Thanks Bear Lac Loi so much! you have given me useful things.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to khongcoranh For This Useful Post:

Bear Lac Loi (Apr 27, 2010)

+ Reply to Thread