+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teachers should give students homework every day.

Paltalk
    Paltalk User ID if you already have one
    Thanks

Default Teachers should give students homework every day.

Question
    Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
    Teachers should give students homework every day.
    Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Outline:
    I – Introduction: Agree
    II – Body
    1. Teachers need to make sure that their students can absorb all valuable lessons instructed in class.
    i. After finishing class, students should be received their assignments related to the lectures.
    ii. E.g. My physic teacher
    2. Giving homework is a good chance for students to gain the better knowledge about the lessons in class.
    i. Since running out of time, lecturers abbreviate their speech. Doing homework is good chance for students to provide insights into their lessons.
    ii. E.g. By assigning extra reading homework, teachers can have students review information or study other interesting things not covered during class.
    3. Having daily homework assignments will teach students how to work once they graduate.
    i. All skills while doing homework can lead them to a benefit and effective way to confront their current difficult jobs.
    ii. to work on several different projects at once, and also have a deadline to face with every day
    III – Conclusion

Some people voice their ideas that teachers should not give students homework every day. In my opinion, I think this statement is absolutely unacceptable. Teachers in every class always set much homework relating to the subjects students were taught in school.

To begin with, teachers need to make sure that their students can absorb all valuable lessons instructed in school. After finishing class, students should be received their assignments related to the lectures. In order to complete the homework, students need to pay heed and grasp what they were taught. For example, my physic teacher used to give homework every day. One day, she stopped doing that, which made many students quit paying attention. Then after two weeks, we had to take the test on physics, and we abashed because we did not know how to solve such weird and difficult problems given by my teacher. Many students did not get used to these forms of exercises because of lacking to do homework. If my teacher had been checking the students’ progress with daily homework, we might not have failed this test.

Furthermore, giving homework is a good chance for students to gain the better knowledge about their lessons in class. Since running out of time, some lecturers at times have to abbreviate their speeches. Students might miss the considerable important information if lecturers did so. To make up the time, teachers can have students review information or study other interesting things not covered during class by assigning extra reading homework.

Finally, having daily homework assignments will teach students how to work once they graduate. People have to deal with many multitasking and daily assignments all the time. All skills while doing homework can lead them to a benefit and effective way to confront their current difficult jobs. For instance, while working, we have to work on several different projects at once, and also have a deadline to face with every day. So giving daily assignments , teachers can prepare their students responsibilities they must fulfill whenever they get jobs.

In conclusion, I totally support that teachers should give homework to their students. By assigning daily homework, students can review and have a better understanding about the lessons taught in class. Moreover, students easily adapt the difficulties at work thanking for skills contributed while doing homework. Giving daily assignments completely do nothing but help students both now and in the future.

-----------------Word count : 400------------------

Please give me some comments. Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Other Threads:

Paltalk
    Thanks

I tried to work on it and rewrote many odd sentences. By the way, I really like the way you show me and tell me to rewrite such odd sentences. It gives my more chance to review and think of my entire eccentric essay again. After that, you will check and give me some more comments. It could be nicer than you edit it first.
    And here is my edit version.

Some people voice their ideas that teachers should not give students homework every day. In my opinion, I think this statement is absolutely unacceptable. In other words, teachers in every class should assign homework related to the knowledge students are taught.

To begin with, teachers need to make sure that their students can absorb all valuable lessons instructed in school. After finishing class, teachers can set some assignments associated with the recent lectures. That is the effective way to check students whether they pay heed and grasp what they are taught in school or not. For example, my physic teacher used to give homework every day. Suddenly, she stopped giving homework one day, which made many students quit paying attention to review their work. Then after two weeks, we had to take the test on physics, and we abashed because we did not know how to solve such weird and difficult problems given by my teacher. Many students did not get used to these forms of exercises because of lacking to do homework. If my teacher had been checking the students’ progress with daily homework, we might not have failed that test.

Furthermore, students can gain the better knowledge about their work in class by doing homework.Sometimes, in class, our lectures have to abbreviate their speeches if they run out of time. Students might miss the considerable important information if lecturers did so. To make up the time, teachers can have students review information or study other interesting things not covered during class by assigning extra reading homework.

Finally, having daily homework assignments will teach students how to work once they graduate. People have to deal with many multitasking and daily assignments all the time. And. all skills contributed by doing homework can lead them to a benefit and effective way to confront their current difficult jobs. For instance, while working, we have to work on several different projects at once, and also have a deadline to face with every day. So giving assignment daily, teachers can prepare their students responsibilities they must fulfill whenever they get jobs.

In conclusion, I totally agree that teachers should give homework every day. By assigning daily homework, students can review and have a better understanding about the lessons taught in class. Moreover, we have experienced many skills and learned how to build up the effective way of thinking when we do homework. Then, it could be easy for us to apply all of them to the difficult tasks that we face with when getting jobs. Giving daily assignments is not only helpful right now but also really benefit for us in the future.

Word count: 443

Last edited by ngoc_diem_131; Jul 7, 2009 at 09:04 PM.

Paltalk
    iPropose
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

i only had time to glanced through your essay, and here's a few that i noticed

heed - when used as a noun, this word means more as "consideration" or "warning" rather than "attention", and it cannot be used like "to pay attention".

abashed - this word is best used only in its adjective form which is "abashed", or in a passive voice sentence, unless it is to say that someone else caused the embarrassment or making someone else feeling awkward or embarrassed.

abbreviate - this word is to mean making something short by JUST USING THE FIRST LETTERS OF EACH WORD. I don't think abbreviate a speech will make sense. How about "abridge", or just something simpler, "shorten" ?

I think you use quite many passive voice sentences, and i think it weakens your essay as well as the situation you want to bring about. There are also some of the sentences you cut them short or made them into two separate sentences but I think they means much stronger if you can keep them together to maintain the coherence of the cause and effect without making the sentence too lengthy.

Regards,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ngoc_diem_131 View Post
    Some people voice their ideas that teachers should not give students homework every day. In my opinion, I think this statement is absolutely unacceptable. In other words, teachers in every class should assign homework related to the knowledge students are taught.

To begin with, teachers need to make sure that their students can absorb all valuable lessons instructed in school. After finishing class, teachers can set some assignments associated with the recent lectures. That is the effective way to check students whether they pay heed and grasp what they are taught in school or not. For example, my physic teacher used to give homework every day. Suddenly, she stopped giving homework one day, which made many students quit paying attention to review their work. Then after two weeks, we had to take the test on physics, and we abashed because we did not know how to solve such weird and difficult problems given by my teacher. Many students did not get used to these forms of exercises because of lacking to do homework. If my teacher had been checking the students’ progress with daily homework, we might not have failed that test.

Furthermore, students can gain the better knowledge about their work in class by doing homework.Sometimes, in class, our lectures have to abbreviate their speeches if they run out of time. Students might miss the considerable important information if lecturers did so. To make up the time, teachers can have students review information or study other interesting things not covered during class by assigning extra reading homework.

Finally, having daily homework assignments will teach students how to work once they graduate. People have to deal with many multitasking and daily assignments all the time. And. all skills contributed by doing homework can lead them to a benefit and effective way to confront their current difficult jobs. For instance, while working, we have to work on several different projects at once, and also have a deadline to face with every day. So giving assignment daily, teachers can prepare their students responsibilities they must fulfill whenever they get jobs.

In conclusion, I totally agree that teachers should give homework every day. By assigning daily homework, students can review and have a better understanding about the lessons taught in class. Moreover, we have experienced many skills and learned how to build up the effective way of thinking when we do homework. Then, it could be easy for us to apply all of them to the difficult tasks that we face with when getting jobs. Giving daily assignments is not only helpful right now but also really benefit for us in the future.

Word count: 443
    Some people voice their ideas (prefer: believe) that teachers should not give students homework every day. In my opinion, I think this statement is absolutely (delete: absolutely) unacceptable. In other words, (prefer: I believe) teachers in every class (delete: in every class) should assign homework related to the knowledge students are taught (related to the subjects that were taught) (prefer: I believe teachers should assign homework to ensure that the students understand the subjects that were taught).

To begin with, teachers need to make sure that their students
    can absorb all valuable lessons (prefer: can comprehend the lessons)instructed in school (delete: instructed in school). After finishing class (a lesson), teachers can set (give)some (delete: some) assignments associated with the recent lectures. That is the effective way to check (see if) students whether they (delete: whether they)pay heed and grasp (prefer: pay attention and understand) what they are (were) taught in school or not (delete: or not). (Suggest: replace previous sentences with “First, to ensure that the students have paid attention and understood the subject, teachers should give assignments associated with the lesson after every class.”). For example, my physic teacher used to give homework every day. Suddenly, she stopped giving homework one day (One day, she stopped giving homework), which made (replace “which made” with “and”) many students quit paying attention to review their work (to the lessons). Then (delete: then) after two weeks, we had to take the test on physics, and we (add: were) abashed because we did not know how to solve such weird and difficult (delete: weird and difficult) problems given by my teacher (delete: given by my teacher). Many students did not get used to these forms of exercises because of lacking to do (not doing) homework. (Suggest: For example, most students in my class were doing fine in physic tests because the teacher had given homework every day. One day, she stopped assigning homework. When she gave a test two weeks later, many students failed because they were not familiar with the problems.)If my teacher had been checking the students’ progress with daily homework, we might not have failed that test (Had my teacher assigned homework daily, we might have not failed the test).

Furthermore, students can gain
    the (delete: the)better (deeper) knowledge about their work in class (their lessons) by doing homework. Sometimes, in class, (delete: in class)our lectures (lecturers) have to abbreviate (shorten) their speeches (lectures)if (when) they run out of time. Students might miss the (delete: the) considerable important information if (add: the) lecturers did so. To make up (add: for) the (add: missing) time, teachers can have students review (add: the) information or study other interesting things (add: that were) not covered during (add: the) class by assigning extra reading homework (Suggest: In addition, homework helps student understand the subject better. There are cases when teachers do not have enough time in the class to cover every detail in their lectures. To make up for the missing information, the teachers assign additional homework so the students can study them at home).

Finally,
    having (delete: having) daily homework assignments will teach students how to work once they graduate (this statement is not clear. How does homework teach student how to work? Did you mean lab work, experiments, or projects?) (Suggest: Finally, being used to working on homework will help student be more effective at work once they graduate.) People have to deal with many multitasking and daily (delete: multitasking and daily) assignments all the (replace “all the” with “at the same”) time. (Comma) And. (Delete period) all (delete: all) skills contributed by (replace “contributed by” with “from”) doing homework can lead them to a benefit and effective way to (replace “lead them to a benefit and effective way” with “help them”) confront their current difficult jobs (suggest: In real working environment, people have to handle many assignments at the same time, and skills from doing homework can help them perform better). For instance, while working, we have to work on several different (use either “several” or “different” but not both) projects at once, and also have a deadline to face with (also have to face deadlines) every day. So (comma) (add: by) giving assignment daily, teachers can prepare their students (add: the) responsibilities they must fulfill whenever they get jobs (a job).

In conclusion, I
    totally (delete: totally) agree that teachers should give homework every day. By assigning daily homework, students can review and have a better understanding about the lessons taught in class. Moreover, we have experienced many skills and (delete: have experienced many skills and)learned (learn) how to build up the (an) effective way of thinking when we do homework. Then, it could be easy for us to apply all of them to the difficult tasks that we face with when getting jobs (suggest: Moreover, the students also learn how to think effectively while doing homework, which will benefit them further at work). Giving daily assignments is not only helpful right now (in school) but also really (delete: really) benefit for us (replace “benefit for us” with “beneficial to the students”) in the future.

--- o0o ---

Suggestion:

As I have suggested, you should read Chapters 2 and 4 from the book that Mr. JK posted. It’s a good book.

You have a habit of using extra and unnecessary words in your writing. That made the essay sound wordy. For example, “Student can comprehend the lessons instructed in school” is grammatically fine, but “instructed in school” is extraneous since we have already been talking about school throughout the essay.

In addition, try not to use too many unnecessary modifiers. Modifiers are used to make the noun more expressive. However, expressiveness is not always necessary. For example, instead of saying “absolutely unacceptable,” just “unacceptable” would do. Similarly, use “lessons” instead of “valuable lessons,” “problems” instead “weird and difficult problems,” or “I agree” instead of “I totally agree.” The mentioned book says that we should use modifiers, but only to clarify our writing. Excessive use of modifiers is not recommended in formal writing.

You also scattered your ideas into many sentences. There is nothing wrong with breaking down a complex sentence into many shorter ones, but if there are many sentences that discuss the same idea then we should condense them together if possible. You may have noticed that my suggestions are short and concise, but they may have left out few details. Ask yourself if those details are necessary, and put them back in if they are.

I recommend you memorize the few rules in Section “For Your Review” from the Chapter 2 and see what you should do the next time you write an essay. After a few more essays, you’ll be used to them.

:-)

ESE Student
    Paltalk
    sunflower_244
    Thanks

This is my essay on the same topic. Please leave some comment after you read it. Thank you!

Many students, after attending schools and joining extra classes, have to deal with a considerable amount of homework, ending up having no time to relax and enjoy their hobbies. Some of them even have some health problem after exhausting themselves in a mountain of work. Thus, I think teachers should not assign daily homework to students.
    First, assigning daily homework is not the only way to check students’ understanding. Instead of doing homework everyday, students can do some projects which require a combination of different skills and knowledge of different fields. When joining such projects, students become more aware of what they are learning and feel motivated with the hands-on experience. Doing projects also helps students learn many new skills like teamwork skill, problem - solving skill and communication skill, which are not usually used in daily homework.
    Second, daily homework uses up much time and thus, prevents students from joining other activities i.e. entertainment, sports and social activities, to name a few. Knowledge learnt in classes is important, but knowledge learnt in the outside world is not less beneficial. Thus, students need a balance between time for school and time for other activities to fully develop their potentials.
    Last but not least, doing daily homework makes students become passive for they only do what the teachers assign. They should be made aware of what they are learning, and have their own plans to achieve their goals. If they need extra exercises to understand their lessons more clearly, they can consult their teachers or look for reference books. Thus, daily homework is no longer needed.
    In conclusion, it is unnecessary for teachers to assign students daily homework for it may turn students into bookworms who know nothing but study and who passively do what teachers assign. There are many other ways to evaluate students’ knowledge without depriving them of their childhood, and still, give students a more active role in their learning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower_244 View Post
    This is my essay on the same topic. Please leave some comment after you read it. Thank you!

Many students, after attending schools and joining extra classes, have to deal with a considerable amount of homework, ending up having no time to relax and enjoy their hobbies. Some of them even have some health problem after exhausting themselves in a mountain of work. Thus, I think teachers should not assign daily homework to students.
    First, assigning daily homework is not the only way to check students’ understanding. Instead of doing homework everyday, students can do some projects which require a combination of different skills and knowledge of different fields. When joining such projects, students become more aware of what they are learning and feel motivated with the hands-on experience. Doing projects also helps students learn many new skills like teamwork skill, problem - solving skill and communication skill, which are not usually used in daily homework.
    Second, daily homework uses up much time and thus, prevents students from joining other activities i.e. entertainment, sports and social activities, to name a few. Knowledge learnt in classes is important, but knowledge learnt in the outside world is not less beneficial. Thus, students need a balance between time for school and time for other activities to fully develop their potentials.
    Last but not least, doing daily homework makes students become passive for they only do what the teachers assign. They should be made aware of what they are learning, and have their own plans to achieve their goals. If they need extra exercises to understand their lessons more clearly, they can consult their teachers or look for reference books. Thus, daily homework is no longer needed.
    In conclusion, it is unnecessary for teachers to assign students daily homework for it may turn students into bookworms who know nothing but study and who passively do what teachers assign. There are many other ways to evaluate students’ knowledge without depriving them of their childhood, and still, give students a more active role in their learning.

Many students, after attending schools and joining extra classes (do you mean “extra-curriculum activities?”), have to deal with a considerable amount of homework, ending up having no time to relax and enjoy their hobbies. Some of them even have some (delete: some) health problems after exhausting themselves in a mountain of work. Thus, I think teachers should not assign daily homework to students.

First, assigning daily homework is not the only way to check students’ understanding. Instead of doing homework everyday, students can do some projects which (prefer: that) require a combination of different skills and knowledge of different fields (prefer: a combination of skills and knowledge in various fields). When joining (performing) such projects, students become more (delete: more) aware of what they are learning and feel motivated with the hands-on experience. Doing projects also helps students learn many new skills like teamwork skill, problem-solving skill and communication skill, which are not usually used in daily homework.

Second, daily homework uses up much time and (delete and) (semicolon) thus, prevents students from joining other activities i.e. (replace “i.e.” with “such as” or “including”) entertainment, sports (comma) and (or) social activities, to name a few (delete: “, to name a few”). Knowledge learnt in classes is important, but knowledge learnt in (prefer: obtained from) the outside world is not less beneficial. Thus, students need a (to) balance between time for school and time for other activities (prefer: to balance the time between school and other activities) to fully develop their potentials.

Last but not least, doing daily homework makes students become passive for (“for” is fine, but “because” is preferred) they only do what the teachers assigned. They should be made (delete: made) aware of what they are learning, and have their own plans to achieve their goals. If they need extra exercises to understand their lessons more clearly, they can consult (add: with) their teachers or look for (look up the information in) reference books. Thus, daily homework is no longer (not) needed.

In conclusion, it is unnecessary for teachers to assign students daily homework for (prefer: because) it may turn students into bookworms who know nothing (add: else) but study (comma) and who (add: can only) passively do what teachers assign. There are many other ways to evaluate students’ knowledge without depriving them of their childhood, and still, (delete comma) give students (them) a more active role in their learning.

--- o0o ---

Sunflower,

I enjoy reading your essay. When I edited your essay, I felt as if I was working on an essay written by an American student. Most of what I edited was about the mechanic and the style. Grammatically, you are doing great.

I’ve noticed that you prefer using “for” instead of “because” or “since.” Nothing is wrong with that. It is only a matter of preference. However, in most common writing that I’ve read, “because” is preferred to “for” because it has only one meaning and one part of speech; thus, any chance of misunderstanding is eliminated.

You also have a tendency of writing long sentences using gerund or participle phrases. They are grammatically correct; however, shorter sentences are easier to comprehend unless they are clumsily written. Please review the example below and see if breaking a long sentence apart sounds better to you.

Example:
    Original: Many students, after attending schools and joining extra classes, have to deal with a considerable amount of homework, ending up having no time to relax and enjoy their hobbies.

Revised: Many students have to deal with a considerable amount of homework after school and extra-curriculum activities. They end up having no time to relax and enjoy their hobbies.

You may also want to combine similar terms when possible:

Original: Doing projects also helps students learn many new skills like teamwork skill, problem-solving skill and communication skill, which are not usually used in daily homework.

Revised: By working together on projects, students gain valuable skills in teamwork, problem-solving, and communication. Those skills are not usually used in daily homework.

By the way, homework does improve problem-solving skill. I would recommend rephrasing it as, “Beside problem-solving skill, working together on projects also teaches students teamwork and communication skills, which can’t be obtained by doing homework alone.”

Finally, I’m sort of confused about the essay. Isn’t take-home project a form of homework as well? If that's the case, maybe we should agree with the idea of assigning homework but only in the form of a practical project, which requires teaming efforts among students.

ESE Student
    Paltalk
    sunflower_244
    Thanks

Wow, thank you very much for your detailed comment, mr Bear. I really learn a lot from that. It's true that the edited sentences sound more natural than my original long sentences . I admit that I am a bit influenced by the research-paper style in which long sentences are quite common. Anyway, this is a short essay; hence, I really need to reconsider my way of constructing sentences.
    Each time I read your comment, I feel really motivated and love writing more. You are like an instructor, a counselor...(err..., words fail me now )
    Back to this topic, it is about " should teachers assign DAILY HOMEWORK ?" not " homework" in general. Hence, I don't think " take-home projects" should be classified as daily homework because when it often takes a lot of time (a week, even a semester) to complete a project.
    Btw, I did mean " extra classes" because it's common in Vietnam that students take extra classes in addition to their "official" classes at school. In Vietnamese, it means " lop hoc them." ( well, you make me think that any foreigner who knows little about Vietnam education may not understand what I am trying to say, )

Last edited by sunflower_244; Jul 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM.

Paltalk
    Thanks

Hello Mr. Bear and Sun,
    I have read Bear's comments about both my and Sun's essays. My another problem is when I try to use the synonyms to replace for some common words, I often get trouble. For example, with the words "abbreviate", I have known the way to use this word and even learned by heart its example.
    Here is what I have learned:
    abbreviate [v.] shorten. ex: Because we were running out of time, the lecturer had to abbreviate her speech.
    Grasp replaces for understand, abash for embarrass, and so on.
    Could you please recommend me some books that have exercises of rewrite sentences in a better way? I am seeking this kind of books but it is quite hard to find.
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your comments and I will try more next essays.
    Have a nice day !
    (f)(f)(f)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ngoc_diem_131 View Post
    Hello Mr. Bear and Sun,
    I have read Bear's comments about both my and Sun's essays. My another problem is when I try to use the synonyms to replace for some common words, I often get trouble. For example, with the words "abbreviate", I have known the way to use this word and even learned by heart its example.
    Here is what I have learned:
    abbreviate [v.] shorten. ex: Because we were running out of time, the lecturer had to abbreviate her speech.
    Grasp replaces for understand, abash for embarrass, and so on.
    Could you please recommend me some books that have exercises of rewrite sentences in a better way? I am seeking this kind of books but it is quite hard to find.
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your comments and I will try more next essays.
    Have a nice day !
    (f)(f)(f)
    Hi Ngoc Diem

You’re not alone. This problem is very common among foreigners who are not used to speaking the language. It is hard to know what a common word should be when you do not speak the language often enough.

The simplest way for you to know the common terms is to read books. Not just any book, mind you. Read only modern story books from modern and popular authors. In my case, I read most books from Michael Connelly, Michael Crichton, Clive Cussler, Nelson DeMille, Vince Flynn, John Grisham, or James Patterson. I also like Tom Clancy, Ken Follett, Jeffery Archer. However, I think Clancy is a bit wordy; and Follett and Archer are too British.

If books are too thick for you, you may read magazines like Newsweek or Reader Digest. I like Reader Digest because its writing style is easy to understand.

When writing, dictionary is also important. I recommend the Cambridge Dictionary. One of the ESE instructors, Su Phu, posted a link to download the dictionary. You may find it at: http://tienganh.net/ese/2846-softwar...8-edition.html

If you prefer looking up the word online, you may go to: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

Had you looked up the word “abbreviate” from Cambridge Dictionary, you would have not used it the way you did in your essay:

abbreviate
    verb [T usually passive]
    to make a word or phrase shorter by using only the first letters of each word:
    'Daniel' is often abbreviated to 'Dan'.
    'Chief Executive Officer' is abbreviated as 'CEO'.

abbreviated
    adjective
    'Di' is the abbreviated form of 'Diane'.

abbreviation
    noun [C]
    'ITV' is the abbreviation for 'Independent Television'.

Per Cambridge, “abbreviate” means “to make a word or phrase shorter.” It doesn’t mean to make a lecture or anything else shorter. It also provides examples to clarify its explanation.

I also like Cambridge Dictionary because it tells me if a noun is countable [C] or uncountable [u]. It’s great.

In addition, when you look for a synonym, try to use the one that doesn’t have various meanings.

Let’s use “understand” and “grasp” as an example. Understand means hiểu and grasp means nắm lấy or hiểu. It is fine when we say, “I understand the basic of the problem,” or “I grasp the basic of the problem.” However, let’s look at this case:

After someone has presented to you an opportunity, would you say, “I understand the opportunity,” or “I grasp the opportunity?” (“Tôi hiểu cái cơ hội này” or “Tôi nắm lấy cơ hội này.”)

When we say “I understand the opportunity,” we mean that we know the idea, the concept, or the outcome of the opportunity, and we may or may not do a thing about it. For example, “I understand the opportunity, but I let it go.” (Tôi hiểu cái cơ hội này nhưng tôi cứ bỏ qua.)

When we say “I grasp the opportunity,” we mean that we take the opportunity and do something that is related to the opportunity. For example, “I grasp the opportunity and take actions right away.” (Tôi nắm lấy cơ hội và hành đông ngay lập tức.)

For me, the purpose of communication is to let other understand what I mean. Therefore, I always use the simpler word unless I have a good reason to do differently. It is better to use a common but correct word rather than a sophisticated word with an ambiguous meaning.

That's all I can tell you. Hope it helps.

+ Reply to Thread