Missing Person(Part 5)

1/I put my ___ on my gun, and ___ ___ the door ___.
I put my HAND on my gun, and SLOWLY OPENED the door WIDER.

2/ I ___ nothing. I carefully ___ ___ a ___ from the floor.
I SAW nothing. I carefully PICKED UP a TOWEL from the floor.

3/___. “There ___ be someone in the ___,” I ___.
NOTHING. “There MUST be someone in the BATHROOM,” I THOUGHT.

4/In one fell ___, I ___ the ___ ___ back. “Don’t move!” I shouted.
In one fell SWOOP, I KICKED the SHOWER CURTAIN back. “Don’t move!” I shouted.

5/Suddenly a little white cat ___ out of the ___ and ___ between my legs. A cat. I should ___ known.
Suddenly a little white cat JUMPED out of the BATHTUB and SCURRIED between my legs. A cat. I should HAVE known.

6/“Oh, Jasmine! I ___ about you!” Anne ___. The cat ___ happy to ___ her.
“Oh, Jasmine! I FORGOT about you!” Anne SAID. The cat LOOKED happy to SEE her.

7/She took her into the ___. I ___ around the ___ ___the bedroom, and then followed Anne into the kitchen.
She took her into the KITCHEN. I POKED around the REST OF the bedroom, and then followed Anne into the kitchen.

8/“Does the cat have any ___ ___ in her dish?” I ___. “It’s almost ___. Poor Jasmine! You must be hungry.”
“Does the cat have any FOOD LEFT in her dish?” I ASKED. “It’s almost GONE. Poor Jasmine! You must be hungry.”

9/“Well, Bill and Sarah haven’t been gone long, we know that.” I ___ over to the telephone ___ machine and ___ their ___.
“Well, Bill and Sarah haven’t been gone long, we know that.” I WALKED over to the telephone ANSWERING machine and CHECKED their MESSAGES.

10/No one had ___.We ___ looking ___ the three-___ apartment.
No one had CALLED.We CONTINUED looking THROUGH the three-BEDROOM apartment.

11/There was no ___ of any ___, no ___, no ___-___.
There was no SIGN of any VIOLENCE, no BURGLARY, no BREAK-IN.

12/I ___ in the ___ bedroom, and I saw nothing ___: a beer bottle, photos of Bill and Sarah’s wedding, some dirty ___, an old Time ___.
I CHECKED in the MASTER bedroom, and I saw nothing UNUSUAL: a beer bottle, photos of Bill and Sarah’s wedding, some dirty CLOTHES, an old Time MAGAZINE.

13/___ to the bed on the night table there was a ___ ___ ___. “Anne, what are ___ pills for?”
NEXT to the bed on the night table there was a BOTTLE OF PILLS. “Anne, what are THESE pills for?”

14/“I think ___ for Bill’s ___. He ___ up his leg playing football in college at USC,” Anne ___.
“I think THEY’RE for Bill’s LEG. He MESSED up his leg playing football in college at USC,” Anne REPLIED.

15/I ___ the ___ back on the table and ___ ___ on the bed to think.
I PUT the BOTTLE back on the table and SAT DOWN on the bed to think.

16/I had no idea what ___ to Anne’s sister and her ___ -___ -___ .
I had no idea what HAPPENED to Anne’s sister and her BROTHER-IN-LAW.

17/They seem to have ___ ___ into ___ ___. They didn’t call anyone.
They seem to have JUST DISAPPEARED into THIN AIR. They didn’t call anyone.

18/There was no sign of any ___ in their apartment. No one at ___ ___ had seen them for two ___.
There was no sign of any CRIME in their apartment. No one at THEIR JOBS had seen them for two DAYS.

19/Where could they be? “Well, Anne, I ___ see anything here to ___ us. I think we should ___ to the ___ again.”
Where could they be? “Well, Anne, I DON’T see anything here to HELP us. I think we should TALK to the POLICE again.”

20/“But I ___ talking to the police, Dr. Reeves! They ___ me to ___ out some ___ and wait. They ___ do anything.
“But I TRIED talking to the police, Dr. Reeves! They TOLD me to FILL out some FORMS and wait. They won’t do anything.

21/___why I ___ to you for help!” She ___ to ___ a little.
THAT’S why I WENT to you for help!” She BEGAN to CRY a little.

22/I ___ and ___ at her for a second: God, I ___, this poor kid. Twenty-two, and in such ___.
I STOPPED and LOOKED at her for a second: God, I THOUGHT, this poor kid. Twenty-two, and in such PAIN.

23/“Okay, well, we ___ ___ anything else here. ___ go,” I ___ to her.
“Okay, well, we WON’T FIND anything else here. LET’S go,” I SAID to her.

24/Just then I ___ a ___ ringing. I ___ to the phone on the ___, but there was no sound.
Just then I HEARD a TELEPHONE ringing. I TURNED to the phone on the TABLE, but there was no sound.

25/Then I ___ Anne ___ inside her ___: it was her ___ telephone!
Then I SAW Anne REACH inside her PURSE: it was her CELLULAR telephone!

26/“___ my ___ ___, Dr. Reeves.” Anne ___. “Hello?”
“THAT’S my CELL PHONE, Dr. Reeves.” Anne SAID. “Hello?”

27/I ___ Anne’s face as she ___ the phone. ___ it was happy, then ___, then very sad.
I WATCHED Anne’s face as she ANSWERED the phone. FIRST it was happy, then WORRIED, then very sad.

28/“Right...10 minutes...yes...see you there...bye!” Anne ___ up and ___ at me in ___. “That was Bill. Something ___ has ___!
“Right...10 minutes...yes...see you there...bye!” Anne HUNG up and LOOKED at me in FEAR. “That was Bill. Something TERRIBLE has HAPPENED!

________

Các bạn nhấn ctrl + A (bôi đen toàn bài) để xem đáp án. Nghe lại phần 1, phần 2,phần 3, phần 4 và nghe tiếp phần 6.

Nghe lại các bài cũ: Click_here