ESE Scholarship Thời Khóa Biểu Listening Corner Reading Responses Free Writes! Pronunciation Grammar Poetry Questions & Answers Idioms & Proverbs Programs & Downloads

Lightbulb Questions and Answers for Week 4 11/23 - 11/30/09

Congratulations to 8TieuMieu8 for winning Student of the Week 4 (November 23rd - 30th, 2009). The prize includes a writing book donated by iPropose. Please contact IP for direction and address on where to send the book.

Thank you sis IP

OoSoOSwtJenna’s Class,

For 2pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “You always read so much that your head hurts.” (total of 4),

For 2pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “They bought some dough to make cookies, but it wasn't enough.” (total of 4),

For 3pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “Jane went to the store because she wanted to buy some peaches.” (total of 7),

For 3pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “This cat hates to eat meat but he loves other good food.” (total of 6),

For 2pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “The plural of mouse is mice, but the plural of goose is geese.” (total of 3),

For 3pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “Why didn't you read these books last night? You had enough time.” (total of 8),

For 2pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “The dime is mine but the tie is not mine.” (total of 4),

For 2pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “You always read so much that your head hurts.” (total of 5),

For 2pts. Identify all the long vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “The queen sat on her throne and ate grapes from a plate.” (total of 5),

For 3pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “An apple fell on the ground, and another fell in the pond.” (total of 9),

For 2pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “I know now what he said and did.” (total of 3),

For 2pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “Tim and Dan said there was no time to waste.” (total of 4),

For 2pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “I didn't hear what you said, my dear. Is it over here or over there?” (total of 5),

For 3pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “First I made the bed and then I had some tea and bread with jam.” (total of 9),

For 3pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “The cat and dog fought all day until I brought one inside the house.” (total of 7),

For 3pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “Can you make three cakes and then eat them? (total of 4),

For 3pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “I have a big fear of bears and snakes, but not spiders or wolves.” (total of 6),

For 3pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “The cat and dog fought all day until I brought one inside the house.” (total of 7),

For 3pts. Identify all the short vowels in the following sentence (for an extra point you must read the sentence correctly): “What is this blue and green fruit? Is it ripe enough to eat?” (total of 8),

For 4 points, answer the following question and give five examples: When a syllable ends in a consonant and has only one vowel, that vowel is _______ ? short.
    Examples: "fat, bed, fish, spot, luck".,

For 4 points, answer the following questions and give five examples. When 2 consonants are joined together and form one new sound, they are a ______________ .
    They count as ______ sound and one letter and are never separated. Examples: "ch,sh,th,ph and wh". Consonants digraph/one,

Dailynews- Class

Randy Pausch: The Last Lecture,

• Vocab definition and part of speech (3 pts),

Though Jai wasn’t thrilled with my bluntness and my know-it-all
    attitude, she said I was the most positive, upbeat person she’d ever
    met.,

What is the definition and part of speech for “bluntness”?,

a)n, tinh thang thang,
    b)n, khong noi thang,
    c)adj, buon ba,
    d)v, tu phu,

• Vocab and definition and part of speech (3 pts),

With all the deference my young, arrogant self could
    muster, I said “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply it was about the money.”,

What is the definition and part of speech for “deference”?,

a)n, su ton kinh,
    b)n, su chan nan,
    c)v, thuc day,
    d)adj, mo ho,

• Vocab and definition and part of speech (3 pts),

Very, very slowly, Nico’s frozen visage thawed and we talked for a few minutes more.,

What is the definition and part of speech for “thawed”?,

a)adj, khong de y’,
    b)n, the nguyen,
    c)v, lam tan,
    d)adj, khong ro rang,

4. Vocab definition and part of speech (3 pts),

Very, very slowly, Nico’s frozen visage thawed and we talked for a few minutes more.,

What is the definition and part of speech for “visage”?,

a)n, sac ma, net mat,
    b)adj, vui ve,
    c)n, tra cuu,
    d)n, thay duoc,

5. Vocab definition and part of speech (3 pts),

Few people bother doing that nowadays, so the expression has started to
    feel outdated, even obscure.,

What is the definition and part of speech for “obscure”?,

a)adj, mit mo; khong ro rang,
    b)adj, to lon,
    c)n, che day lai,
    d)v, doi thay,

• In reading the short stories from “The Last Lecture”, what does the Dutch uncle refer to: (2 pts),

a)mot nguoi phe binh thang thang va that tha,
    b)mot nguoi noi nhung loi dep de ,
    c)cau nguoi Ha Lan,
    d)mot nguoi ham mo phu quy,

• In the short story “In Fifty Years, It Never Came Up”, after the passing of his father, Randy discovered that his father was awarded the Bronze Star for valor. However, he never shared this heroic effort with the family. According to Randy, what did he learn from this experience? (3 pts),

a)the power of war,
    b)the importance of humility,
    c)his father was a liar,
    d)his father was his hero,

• From the stories of people like Jackie Robinson and Sandy Platt, what was the important message in their struggle did Randy learn? (2 pts),

a)Complaining will always get you what you want,
    b)Stop complaining and work harder,
    c)You must lie to become successful,
    d)Hard work is not enough,

Bonus (4 pts): Please briefly retell the story of Sandy Platt or Jackie Robinson in English.,

9. What is meant by a “tenured professor”? (2 pts),

a) a permanent professor for life,
    b) a professor for a time period,
    c) a new professor,
    d) a student who wants to become a professor ,

10. Randy learned many lessons from playing youth football that helped him become a successful professor and researcher. Please translate the passage below (5 pts):,
    That lesson has stuck with me my whole life. When you see yourself
    doing something badly and nobody’s bothering to tell you anymore,
    that’s a bad place to be. You may not want to hear it, but your critics are
    often the ones telling you they still love you and care about you, and
    want to make you better. There’s a lot of talk these days about giving children self-esteem. It’s not something you can give; it’s something they have to build.,

11. In the story “Never Give Up”, Randy stated:,

If you want something bad enough, never give up (and take a boost
    when offered). Brick walls are there for a reason. And once you get over them—
    even if someone has practically had to throw you over—it can be helpful
    to others to tell them how you did it.”,

Please translate (5 pts),

12. In the short story “All You Have Is What You Bring With You”, Randy learned a great lesson for professional success from his college classmate Norman Meyrowitz. Please briefly retell the event and the lesson learnt. (2 pts in Vietnamese); (4 pts in English),

13. Please translate for following passage (3 pts),

Another way to be prepared is to think negatively.,
    Yes, I’m a great optimist. But when trying to make a decision, I,
    often think of the worst-case scenario.,

14. Identifying part of speech (2 pts) ,

Obvious (adj), reputation (n), possibility (n), falling (v),

She had obvious feelings for me, but
    she was scared—of both my reputation and of the possibility that she was falling in love.,
    15. Identifying Syllables 1 pt,

Im-ple-ment, (mpl-mnt)
    A-nec-dote ,(nk-dt)
    Ne-go-ti-ate, (n-gsh-t)
    Cha-ri-ta-ble, (chr-t-bl)
    Op-ti-mist, (pt-mst)
    Re-as-sure, (r-shr)
    In-de-scrib-a-ble,(nd-skrb-bl)