PDA

View Full Version : Questions and Answers for Week 3 (11/16 - 11/23/09)

OoSoOSwtJenna
Nov 23, 2009, 01:35 PM
Congratulations to HealTheWoundofHeart for winning a Student of the Week 3 (November 16th - 23rd, 2009). The prize included a colored nick, which he donated to Urlove. We like to thank the anonymous donor for providing the nick. Moreover, we still have two prizes left: a writing book courtesy of Co iPropose and two-hour private tutoring with an ESE instructor.

http://eseonline.net/staff/Jenna/Nobody.jpg

SeVenn Uppp’s class,
arm and a leg, (2pts. each)
- a large amount of money,
The man's new car cost him an arm and a leg. ,

back to the drawing board,
- to go back and start a project or idea from the beginning,
The boss does not like our idea so we must go back to the drawing board. ,

birds and the bees,
- human sex and reproduction,
The father tried to tell his son about the birds and the bees.,

TieuThoBuiDoi’s class,
Hate Poem

by Julie Sheehan,

5points each,
Paragraph (2) ,
Each corpuscle singing in its capillary hates you.
Look out! Fore! I hate you.
The blue-green jewel of sock lint I’m digging from under by third toenail, left foot, hates you.
The history of this keychain hates you.,

Paragraph (6)
Hours after our latest row, brandishing the sharp glee of hate,
I dissect you cell by cell, so that I might hate each one individually and at leisure.
My lungs, duplicitous twins, expand with the utter validity of my hate, which can never have enough of you,
Breathlessly, like two idealists in a broken submarine.,

My Promise To You

© Emily Thurston

Paragraph (3),
I promise to be your dream catcher
To chase away you’re every fear
I promise to be your smile
When you’re frowning
I promise to always cheer you up
When you are down and blue
I promise to give you faith
When you are feeling insecure,

Paragraph (5)
I promise to always hold you
When you need someone
I promise to always care for you
Wherever you are I promise to always be there
I promise to never hurt you and never break your heart
I can’t promise you the world
I can’t promise you the sky
I can’t promise you that we will never fight,

Valensue’s class,
Name that fruit! 2pts each,

Lychee
This is a rare sub tropical fruit originating in <st1:place w:st="on">South China</st1:place> where it is very important in their culture and is famed as "the King of Fruits". The fruit is about 1½ to 2 inches in size, oval to rounded heart shaped and the bumpy skin is red in color. Once you peel the skin off, the crisp juicy flesh of the fruit is white or pinkish, translucent and glossy like the consistency of a grape, but the taste is sweeter. The fruit have a sub acid sweet taste and have a wonderful freshness to them that is hard to describe.

Dragon fruit
It is an extremely beautiful fruit that has dazzling flowers and an intense shape and color. The fruit is usually a dark red color, although some types of this fruit are pink or yellow. The skin of this fruit is a thin rind. The skin is usually covered in scales. When you cut through the flesh you will find the stark contrast of the flesh inside and the center of the fruit is made up of a red or white with lots of tiny black seeds, sweet tasting pulp. It is actually the fruit of a type of cactus.

Jackfruit
This fruit is a huge, spined, oval fruit that is believed to have been first cultivated in Indian rainforests. The exterior of the fruit is not edible, but the flesh and seeds are commonly eaten. When the fruit has turned from green to yellow, it is ready to be picked. The ripening fruit has an odor which has been compared to the smell of rotting onions. This aroma often discourages people from trying the interior. When the fruit is opened, numerous sweet, banana-like bulbs are revealed, and most people find them quite delicious. One variety of the fruit has a crunchy, rather than mushy texture, and is generally preferred. The seeds can be roasted and are compared to chestnuts in flavor.

Longan
The dragon eyes is so named because of the fruit's resemblance to an eyeball when it is shelled, the black seed shows through the translucent flesh like a iris. The seed is small, round and hard, and of an enamel-like, lacquered black. The fully ripened, freshly harvested shell is bark-like, thin, and firm, making the fruit easy to shell by squeezing the fruit out as if one is "cracking" a sunflower seed. When the shell has more moisture content and is more tender (due to either premature harvest, variety, weather conditions, or transport/storage conditions), the fruit becomes less convenient to shell.

OoSoOSwtJenna’s class,

Give me three examples of a voiced and voiceless letters? (4pts.),
Voiced: B D G J L M N (NG) R V Z (HARD TH SOUND), AND ALL VOWELS,
Voiceless: CH, SH, F H K P S T (SOFT TH SOUND),

http://tienganh.net/ese/co-oosooswtjenna/, (http://tienganh.net/ese/co-oosooswtjenna/)

According to the Thanksgiving article, what week/day is Thanksgiving Day land on? (2pts.),
a) third week of November on a Thursday,
b) second week of November on a Thursday,
c) first week of November on a Thursday,
d) fourth week of November on a Thursday,

In your own words, please explain to the class, what is Thanksgiving Day? (5pts.),

In your own words, please briefly describe the brief history of Thanksgiving’s Day? (5pts.),

Which two countries celebrate Thanksgiving’s Day? (2pts.),
<!--[if !supportLists]-->a)<!--[endif]-->US and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region></st1:place>,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->b)<!--[endif]--><st1:country-region w:st="on">Vietnam</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region>,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->c)<!--[endif]-->Africa and <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place>,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->d)<!--[endif]-->US and <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place>,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->e)<!--[endif]--><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> and US,

According to the Thanksgiving article, name four food dishes that are served during the holiday (you must include the main dish for 3pts.): turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.,

Who discovered the <st1:place w:st="on">New World</st1:place>? (2pts.),
(a) George Washington,
b) John F. Kennedy,
c) Christopher Columbus ,
d) Abraham Lincoln,
e) John Adams,
f) Marco Polo,
When did the pilgrims arrive to the <st1:place w:st="on">New World</st1:place>? (2pts.),
<!--[if !supportLists]-->a)<!--[endif]-->1760,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->b)<!--[endif]-->1620,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->c)<!--[endif]-->1520,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->d)<!--[endif]-->1820,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->e)<!--[endif]-->1420,

Who taught the pilgrims about the local fauna? (2pts.),
<!--[if !supportLists]-->a)<!--[endif]--><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Saratoga</st1:city></st1:place> tribe,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->b)<!--[endif]-->Cherokee tribe,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->c)<!--[endif]-->Powhatan tribe,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->d)<!--[endif]-->Wampanoag tribe,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->e)<!--[endif]--><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Shawnee</st1:city></st1:place> tribe,

Who proclaimed the Thanksgiving feast in December 1777? (2pts.),
<!--[if !supportLists]-->a)<!--[endif]-->James Madison,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->b)<!--[endif]-->George Washington,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->c)<!--[endif]-->Thomas Jefferson,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->d)<!--[endif]-->John Adams,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->e)<!--[endif]-->James Monroe,

What is the nickname of Thanksgiving Day? (1pts.),
<!--[if !supportLists]-->a)<!--[endif]-->Monkey Day,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->b)<!--[endif]-->Elephant Day,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->c)<!--[endif]-->Mouse Day,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->d)<!--[endif]-->Chicken Day,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->e)<!--[endif]-->Ham Day,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->f)<!--[endif]--><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Turkey</st1:place></st1:country-region> Day,

Since ___?___, the holiday always falls on the fourth Thursday of November. (2pts.),
<!--[if !supportLists]-->a)<!--[endif]-->1844,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->b)<!--[endif]-->1642,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->c)<!--[endif]-->1941,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->d)<!--[endif]-->1743,

Why did the Pilgrims fled from <st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region> to the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">United States</st1:place></st1:country-region>? 2pts,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->a)<!--[endif]-->for freedom,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->b)<!--[endif]-->to find gold,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->c)<!--[endif]-->religious purpose,
<!--[if !supportLists]-->d)<!--[endif]-->to make a lot of money,
e) for holiday purpose,

Dailynews’s class,
Based on the essay “The Outlook of American Culture”,
http://tienganh.net/ese/6177/, (http://tienganh.net/ese/6177/)

1. Identifying part of speech: (3 pts),
Speculating on the American future, we are speculating on the future of civilized man. (speculating, future, civilized),
Answer: Speculating (v); future (n ); civilized (adj),

2. Identifying part of speech: (4 pts),
Living in the contemporary environment, which is everywhere becoming more and more American, men feel a psychological compulsion to go the American way. (living, contemporary, environment, psychological, compulsion),
Answer: living (n), contemporary (adj); environment (n ); psychological (adj); compulsion (n ),

3. Identifying part of speech: (3 pts),
Lacking both space and knowledge, I am forced to make an arbitrary selection from the mass of significant materials. (forced, arbitrary, significant),
Answer: forced (v); arbitrary (adj); significant (adj),
Bonus: Material circumstances are driving all nations along the path in which <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">America</st1:country-region></st1:place> is going. (material),
Answer: Material (adj),

4. Identifying part of speech: (3 pts),
The benefits conferred by machinery on the human race are too well known to need a long description. (Conferred, machinery, race, description),
Answer: conferred (v); machinery (n ); race (n); description (n ),

5. Identifying part of speech: (3 pts),
The notion that one can derive pleasure from arduous intellectual occupations is to such people merely absurd. (notion, derive, arduous, absurd),
Answer: notion (n ); derive (v); arduous (adj); absurd (adj),

6. Vocabulary definition,
The benefits conferred by machinery on the human race are too well known to need a long description. (2 pts),
a) take away,
b) to give, to provide,
c) to need,
d) to keep in one place,
Answer: b) to give, to provide,

7. Vocabulary definition,
The notion that one can derive pleasure from arduous intellectual occupations is to such people merely absurd. (derive: arduous) (4 pts),
a) to receive; to have nothing,
b) to receive; difficult,
c) to give; in return,
d) to lie; easy,
Answer: b) to receive, difficult,,,,

8. Identify part of speech and definition,
If I turn on the gas to boil my morning’s coffee that means that the world’s coal supply will be exhausted some minute fraction of a second before it would have been exhausted if I had not turned on the gas. (minute),
a) n, mot phut,
b) v, tinh toan,
c) adj, nho hoi,
d) v, sap den,
Answer: c) adj. nho hoi,

9. The rest of us feel certain that children are not born with equal capacities, and that nature has as much to say in determining character, and achievement as nurture – probably more than nurture, in fact.,
What does Huxley mean by nature, nurture?,
a) natural scenes, smart,
b) genetics, environment,
c) being born, growing up,
d) hereditary, family ,
Answer: b) genetics, environment,

10. Direct Translation (6 pts) or Expressing Main Idea (3 pts),
As things are at present, mass-produced material objects are of much better quality than mass-produced ideas and mass-produced art. Everybody objects to leaky ill-fitting boots; but only a small minority objects to anything like the same intensity to imbecile ideas and vulgarity in art.,

11. Translation (6 pts) or Expressing Main Idea (3 pts),
Cheap and rapid transport has enormously enlarged the human horizon. Travel, in the past, was a luxury which only the very rich could afford. The majority of men and women were born, lived, and died in the same place. They inhabited a universe ten miles wide; beyond its borders lay the unknown. To-day even the poor can take small journeys; the moderately prosperous are familiar with whole continents.,

12. Translation (6 pts) or Expressing Main Idea (3 pts),
In the days before machinery men and women who wanted to amuse themselves were compelled, in their humble way, to be artists. Now they sit still and permit professionals to entertain them by the aid of machinery. It is difficult to believe that general artistic culture can flourish in this atmosphere of passivity.,