PDA

View Full Version : Persuasive Writing

z bebamboo z
Aug 23, 2007, 08:23 AM
You see persuasive writing every day. You may not even be aware of it. A bus passes by with a sign on its side. In your favorite magazine, you read the letters to the editor. In the school newspaper, a fellow student has written an article about the proposed changes in class offerings for next year. Whatever the form that persuasive writing takes, the writer's goal is to try to make readers think, feel, or act in a certain way.

Here is an example of a persuasive article. The writer gives some information and states her opinion. She closes with a statement that requests some of her readers to take action.

New Classes: Change for the Better?

Times are changing. At least, that's what next year's class list seems to indicate. As of next fall, some classes will never again be offered OMS.

The home economics department will see drastic changes. Traditional cooking classes are a thing of the past. Instead, students will take a class call consumer science. The former home economics rooms will house three new computer labs plus a video lab. Proposed class offerings involve creating multimedia presentations, manipulating digital cameras, conducting online research, and more.

My question is this: Don't we need to learn how to cook any more? Maybe it's old-fashioned, but everyone needs to eat. With parents working full-time jobs these days, they have less time to teach those skills. I like the idea of the new computer offerings, but I don't believe it was the best idea to do away with the basics. Unless people want to rely on fast-food restaurants or convenience foods, cooking is pretty important, I think. I hope the school administrators will reconsider the plan and continue to offer cooking classes.

~~by Mariah Wayne

Do you think it's important to have a cooking class in middle school? Do you think those skills are no longer necessary? Respond to Mariah's article. State your opinion and support it with reasons.