PDA

View Full Version : Sample TOEFL Writing Test #5

Jul 13, 2007, 09:39 AM
If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

Everything in the universe is in constant change. And everything needs continual improvement if the ever changing and increasing demands of humankind are to be met. If I were ever given the chance to change one important thing about my hometown, it would be Internet service. Needless to say that nothing generally revolutionized the way we live as Internet in the past decade. Thus, an improvement in this vital service would mean an even more, unheard betterment to the people in my hometown.

It is said that information is power. True saying indeed! I can envision how everything in my hometown could improve dramatically if the Internet service in it were made free, fast and staying out there like electricity, telephone or water all the time. One thing, a fast free and reliable Internet service could improve in my hometown is the way people work. If there is this said service people in my hometown must not necessarily commute to a far place to do their job. This in turn would mean less traffic jams, spacious work place, more time for family and recreation and so on.

The way people learn would be another important thing that a fast, free and reliable Internet service could better in my hometown. People will have the chance to go through tremendous and different information resources in a very small amount of time. They apparently will also take less time to share it. This assures a more fulfilled life for my hometown people.

Since its advent, Internet touched every part of our life. It in a dazzling way improved the way we do business, learn and communicate. A change in Internet service implies good way of living for every one in my home town.

Moonchild452
Jul 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
The place that I'm currently living in has over 8 million people. With such a compact amount of people in a busy modern city, it is very hard on the environment and the people living in it. One of the critical situations that my city has been expriencing over the decade is the amount of pollution in the air, water, and land. Pollution is the crucial thing I want to change in my city.

Pollution introduce substances into the environment, resulting in deleterious effects of endangering human health, harm living resources and ecosystems, and impair or interfere with amenities and other legitimate uses of the environment. The major forms of pollution include: Air pollution, water pollution, soil contamination, radioactive contamination, noise pollution, light pollution, visual pollution, and thermal pollution.

Air pollution

Cause by : carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), and nitrogen oxides produced by industry and motor vehicles.

Result : Global dimming • Global warming • Haze • Ozone depletion • Particulate • Smog

Adverse air quality can kill many organisms such as humans and animals. Ozone pollution can cause respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, throat inflammation, chest pain, and congestion. Water contamination kills people everyday as we now speak. Oil spill can cause skin irration and rashes.

The group that is most vulnerable to pollution and disease is infants and elderly people.

Changing the pollution in any city/town/province/country and etc can help change the life of many organisms and plant in the world. Extinction of an organism would occurr less often. Death rate would drop. Severe cases of hurricane and storms would decrease.

The change of deduction in pollution in my hometown or anywhere, would greatly benefits it. They would get more tourists and have a cleaner and a safer environment to survive in.

snowdrop_14
Jul 20, 2007, 04:25 AM
If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

As the population of "Baby Boomers" rapidly increase, the number of the elderly being neglect and abuse also growth. Working in my profession, I had heard and encountered with many heart-breaking stories of how elderly being abuse and neglect. If I can change one thing about my hometown, I would like for all of my neighbors to reach out, to his or her elderly neighbor, to lend a hand in time of need, to let them know help is available.

I live in a very quiet neighborhood approximately 20 miles from Seattle. Across my house is a retired couple, who have been working days in and out in their garden. On my days off, I spend counter-less time sitting on my sofa with a cup of tea and look at their beautiful garden. One summer, the garden was neglected, the flowers were withered, grasses had grown tall, and there was no sign of them. I was wondering, where did they go and how have they been. I wanted to know if they’re fine, but it was not easy for me to get out of my shell and meet my neighbor for the first time. I have been travel thousand miles, and see many different places in the world, however I still feel uncomfortable and troublesome to come across the street to see my neighbor, who have lived in the same neighborhood for five years. My curiosity and worrisome had overcame my obstacle, I finally met my neighbor for the first time. Knowing that Mr. Anderson was diagnosed with end stage of pancreatic cancer and have been hospitalized for 3 weeks. Mrs. Anderson took a bus everyday to be with her husband in the hospital. I can still recall the moment I came knocking on her door and showed my concern. As soon as she said "hi" to me, tear was falling down on her face. "Finally someone is care", she said. Suddenly we became so close. I helped her with his final days. She shared her live story with a rich and fascinating history that reflect on the social of the 20-century. Listen to her dream, life, and experience was an adventure of inspiration and hope. I had my eyes opened to an on going chapter in the world's history that I didn't even know existed. It has touched me in a most powerful way. It warms my heart every time I look at the wrinkle of the soul on her face that history had placed it there, in the most mysterious way. As I helped her, she had taught me so much about life. It’s indeed to say, the best classroom in the world in at the feet of an elderly person (Andy Rooney).

Needless to say at this point, my experience was extremely meaningful and quiet emotional. I hope my experience will enhance you and give you some inspiration to help an elderly neighbor and to see a whole new world on the other side of the fence. As Emily Dickinson once said. "If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching, or cool one pain, I shall not live in vain".

Aug 3, 2007, 11:54 AM
Suggested by Workaholic... :)

As the population of "Baby Boomers" rapidly increases, the number of the elderly being neglected and abused also grows.

Working in my profession, I have (had is ok, but if u choose had, why not just heard) heard and encountered many heart-breaking

stories of how elderlies are mistreated. If I could change one thing about my hometown, I would like for all my neighbors to

reach out to other elderly neighbors. Lend a hand in time of need,let the elderly know help is available.

I live in a very quiet neighborhood approximately 20 miles from Seattle. Living (again ur choice, without living it's understood,

but it sounds like there's a couple standing across the street) across my house is a retired couple, whom have been working days in

and out on their garden. On my days off, I spend countless time on the sofa with a cup of tea while looking at their beautiful garden.

One summer, the garden was neglected, the flowers were withered, grasses had grown tall, and there was no sign of them. I was wondering,

where did they go and how have they been. I wanted to know if they’re fine, but it was not easy for me to get out of my shell and meet my neighbors

for the first time. I have (or been travelling) traveled thousand miles, and seen many different places; However I still feel uncomfortable and

troublesome to walk across the street to meet my neighbors, whom have lived in the same neighborhood for five years.

My curiosity and worrisome had overcame my obstacle, I finally met my neighbors for the first time. Knowing that Mr. Anderson was diagnosed

with the ending stage of pancreatic cancer and have been hospitalized for 3 weeks. Mrs. Anderson took a bus everyday to be with her husband in the hospital.

I can still recall the moment I came knocking on her door and showed my concern. As soon as she said "hi" to me, tear was falling down on her face.

"Finally someone cares", she said. Suddenly we became so close. I helped her with his final days. She shared her life story with a rich and fascinating history

that reflects society (social culture) of the 20-century. Listening to her dream, life, and experiences was an adventure of inspiration and hope.

I had my eyes opened to an ongoing chapter in the world history that I didn't even know existed. It has touched me in the most powerful way.

It warms my heart every time I look at the wrinkles which history has placed on her face representing a wonderful soul, in the most mysterious way.

As I helped her, she had taught me so much about life. It’s indeed to say, the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person (Andy Rooney).

Needless to say at this point, my experience was extremely meaningful and quiet emotional. I hope my experience will enhance you and give you some inspirations

to help an elderly neighbor, and to see a whole new world on the other side of the fence. As Emily Dickinson once said, "If I can stop one heart from breaking,

I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching, or cool one pain, I shall not live in vain"

murielle9
Oct 28, 2010, 05:56 PM
I don't understand this sentence workhalic. Could you explain it to me?

I live in a very quiet neighborhood approximately 20 miles from Seattle. Living (again ur choice, without living it's understood.
Thanks in advance