PDA

View Full Version : Descriptive Writing--Sensory Details

z bebamboo z
Jun 9, 2007, 06:42 AM
Scruunnch. I bit into my apple and juices flowed everywhere. At the same time, I felt some gooey brown caramel stick to my chin. I tried not to drool as I detached the bite of apple and got it all the way into my mouth. I had no napkin, wouldn't you know it, and had to fight the urge to wipe the sticky mess off on my white sleeve. I kept my head down so that no one would see the caramel hanging on my chin. I chewed quickly, though what I really wanted to do was savor the rich, sweet caramel blending with the tartness of the apple.

In a description, a writer's goal is to help readers see, hear, smell, feel, or taste what is being described. They use sensory details, or details that appeal to readers' senses, in their description. For example, in the paragraph above, scruunnch helps you hear the person biting the apple. The phrase "juices flowed everywhere" helps you feel what it's like to bite into the apple. What other sensory details does the paragraph contain? List them here, according to whether the detail helps you see, hear, smell, touch, or taste the caramel apple. Some details might fit into more than one category.

SEE: _______________ _______________ _______________

HEAR: ______________ _______________ _______________

SMELL: _____________ _______________ _______________

TOUCH: ____________ _______________ _______________

TASTE: _____________ _______________ _______________

Think about the last time you ate an apple. Was it covered in caramel? Maybe it was sliced up in a salad. How did it taste? What did it feel like? List the sensory details.

SEE: _______________ _______________ _______________

HEAR: ______________ _______________ _______________

SMELL: _____________ _______________ _______________

TOUCH: ____________ _______________ _______________

TASTE: _____________ _______________ _______________